An annual mecca for superhero costumes and cosplay, the San Diego Comic Convention also breeds some of the most fashionable looks from celebrities outside of award ceremonies. Overtime, the event has gone beyond graphic novel nerds and the superhero obsessed, and continues to draw many A-list celebrities around the country.
Comic Con, which started on March 21, 1970, was pulled together by comic, movie and science fiction fans, including comic strip letterer Shel Dorf, American publisher and retailer Ken Krueger, and former comic bookstore owner, Richard Alf. The widely-known event started as a one-day “minicon” in San Diego, featuring special guests Forrest J. Ackerman and Mike Royer and drew nearly 100 attendees. The point of the minicon was raise funds for a larger comic book convention, giving us the enormous event we know today.
This year’s Comic Con not only granted a slew of staggering trailers, but non-conventional comic book looks from black female celebrities who attended the event.
Let’s take a look at some of last weekend's best dressed Comic-Con celebrities.
1. Ashley Madekwe in Self-Portrait
2. KeKe Palmer in Edition by Georges Chakra
3. Kat Graham in Maria Ke Fisherman Skirt, and Isabel Marant Top
4. Danai Gurira paired a contrasting black and white two-piece.
5. Meagan Good showed out in a lacy low-plunging white jumpsuit.
6. Halle Berry kept it comfortable in a pleated a-line dress.
7. Sonequa Martin Green stood out in a colorful two-piece ensemble.
8. Lyndie Greenwood wore a low-plunging bodycon dress with a front split.
9. Candice Patton exhibited a lacy green romper with pockets.
Photo: Getty Images
Shonette Reed is regular contributor for Coloures and For Harriet from Los Angeles, Calif. With plans to break into the fashion industry as a fashion reporter, she runs her own style blog. Her aim is to highlight the important contributions of women of color in the fashion industry as well as give women of color more exposure within the leading magazines in fashion. You can follow her on twitter @ShonetteReed.